11 May 2010

Now, That's How You Open a Movie #13

Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick, 1987)

Fresh from having their heads ceremoniously shaved, another 'conditioning' ritual awaits the fresh 'marine grunts', in the guise of a verbal tirade, at once so vile yet magnificent, lifted out of the highly imaginative book of obscenities and put downs, in the shape of the steely framed, mad eyed drill Sergent, Hartman.


As one eye-rolling nasty line follows another, Kubrick neatly shoves the psychological and physical re-shaping of the young men down our throat; nothing exists but the Marine Corp, nothing but it's ideals, it's methods and it's beliefs.

In the centre of it all is the performance from Lee Ermey (Hartman), the former drill Sergent commands the whole scene, his presence is both terrifying and electric, you truly believe he would die for his 'beloved' Marine Corp. without a moments pause.

Enjoy the profanity.



Why not check out the Opening Scene series? Go on, you know you want to.

15 comments:

Shubhajit said...

First of all, let me welcome you back to the blogosphere. Great to know that you hadn't left for good after all.

Coming to the movie, I must say you've captured the movie's spectacular opening scene wonderfully.

Radu Prisacaru said...

I invite you to see my post, I hope you will find interesting too.

Sam Juliano said...

It is truly a special treat to see you back my good friend! I hope you pace yourself, and once again provide all of us with your wonderful cinematic insights and effervescent demeanor.

Ibetolis said...

Hey all, thanks for the huge welcome back! I'm sorry it takes me a while to reply, I still haven't learnt how to respond quicker.

Thank you for the warm welcome back Shubajit and Sam, it's great to know the community is still out there. I look forward to seeing you all in the blogsphere soon.

Pat said...

May I add my own "welcom back"? Glad to see you blogging again.

My brother has this whole Lee Ermey speech memorized and can perform it on demand, much to the endless delight of my sister-in-law. But she's a good sport about it. She actually bought him a talking Lee Ermey doll (God only know where she found it) that repeats key phrases from this scene when you pull his string.

Madgestic said...

Full Metal Jacket? One of my favourite movies of all time. Well. Having said that? The first half.

It was a brave experiment of the director to try to turn London's Isle of Dogs cityscape into war-torn rainforest... it just didn't work for me.

But yep, FMJ is full of the most creative obscenties ever. And the best lines.

"I'm just trying to suggest something about the duality of man, SIR!"

Directoryobedience said...

Beautiful compilation. Useful and relevant. Thanks.

List Submission said...

Excellent job. Make such work available. Thanks.

Directory Surrender said...

Nice blog post. Deserving of appreciation. Thanks.

Directory Surrender said...

Such works should be regular. People demand it. Thanks.

Best Directory Submission said...

Excelent work. Will be beneficial for others. Thanks.

Great Article Surrender said...

Hai. Beautiful work. Write frequently and be beloved of others.Thanks.

Great Article Resignation said...

I like your post. Wordless comment. Thanks.

First Article Resignation said...

Essential post. As rose in all flower. Keep writings. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.